Here’s an example of game producer’s responsibilites. (Direct quote from a game “producer wanted” ad)
The Producer will manage 1st party development at the studio. The role includes the following responsibilities:
- Be responsible for driving multiple games from initial concept, through prototype and development, to deployment and live maintenance.
- Successfully ship up to four AAA quality games each year (dev cycles may be 4-6 months).
- Manage small teams of 2-7 people each, plus contractors. Teams may be composed of artists, designers, engineers, composers, audio engineers, and testers, depending on production phase. May include personnel management for direct reports and contract/invoice management for external contractors.
- Plan, task, schedule, and estimate costs for the projects. Maintaining detailed task schedules and milestone lists, delivering weekly updates, and identifying and managing risks to the project are a all critical parts of the job.
- Coordinate efforts between the development team and the marketing and business team, and keep all parties updated accordingly.
- Manage requested changes to the games (from QA, beta, marketing, etc) balancing priorities, schedule and budget.
Quite a list. Should give you some information what they expect from producers.