An example of qualifications for a game producer:
– At least 3-5 years experience in managing teams of creative people, and managing creative projects from concept to release. A technical background is preferred.
– A willingness to do whatever it takes to get the highest quality games shipped, including the occasional unpleasant task (making installers or wrappers).
– A passion for game development, and the ability to manage equally passionate people in a rapidly changing marketplace.
– Ability to balance the needs of a business with the talent of a creative team.
– Independence and initiative – a proven track record of seeking out tasks, finding new ways to enhance productivity both personally and for the team.
– Extreme attention to detail without compromising the ability to do many things at once with ongoing interruptions.
– Ability to create top-quality products with a limited budget and resources in a highly competitive market, all in 40 hour weeks.
– Highly developed written and verbal communication skills. Must communicate ideas easily to the entire team including artists, designers, and offsite contacts.
I think many indies who have taken their own route carry these qualifications with them. Some skills might be weaker, some stronger, but you can see similarities between an indie game developer and a “generic” game producer.