The golden rule applies here: You must have useful content in your site – or nobody won’t visit there. First you must earn the traffic. After then you start getting it. People who have been long in the business have earned their reputation. If they set up a blog, you can rest assured that their blog will receive lots of traffic.
Seth Godin (a marketing professional) describes this very same point in getting traffic:
The problem, of course, is in the “get.” The request has at its foundation the assumption that what you’ve built has somehow earned attention. “Our business model is working great–we just need more traffic…”
People never say, “how can I earn more traffic?” or “How can I rethink the core of what I’m offering so that it organically attracts people who want to see it?”
The 3 strategic points:
- First of all, your site must be online when people want to visit there. Cheap web host won’t get you far away.
- Secondly: there must be useful content in your site – or nobody won’t visit there.
- Thirdly: Have a long term plan. 6 months is nothing when building a high traffic site.
14 tactics for getting more traffic:
Here’s some fast & easy tips for getting some traffic to your site:
- Make press releases
- Participate in different forums
- Remember to use forum signatures
- Write articles
- Create a blog that supports your game site (it can establish credibility)
- Include your blog link to your game site – and from game site to your blog
- Include your website url in your emails
- Share business cards (remember to have website URL there)
- Mention your site to your friends
- Mention your site when you play online
- Exchange links with people
- Submit your site to different search engines
- Submit your site to different news
- Get interviewed
GameProducer.net visitor amount has been increasing all the time, but during days 20-22 there was a small decrease in numbers. I decided that I need to earn the traffic, so I thought about writing a really, really interesting post – and shared some insight information about the secret game project. The story also contains an image which makes it more interesting – at least in my opinion. I decided to go through the forums I visit (as mentioned in the ‘tactics list’) and made announcements in each forums. The next day I had a 5% increase in visitors and about 10% increase after two days. Also the number of newsletter subscribers went up right away. Now I’m going to re-visit those forums and reply there.
First have content somebody wants, then let the people know about it. It’ll bring traffic.