Sales Stats: Titan Attacks

Current version: 1.2
Team size: 2 part-time + 2 contracted
Time of development: 6 man-months
Platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux

Sales
Price: 9.95 USD
Units sold: 457 as of 27th March 2006 (in 22 days)
Downloads: 9658 as of 27th March 2006 (in 22 days)
Conversion rate: 4.7%

Expenses:
* Sound: 351 USD
* press releases: 99 USD

Revenues:
* Direct sales: 3810 USD
* Affiliate sales: 70 USD

Advertising & Promotion methods:
* Press Release
* Apple.com front page coverage
* Promosoft to PAD download sites
* Free listing on download.com
* PPD on download.com
* Finding review sites and ask for reviews
* Choosing affiliates carefully

Additional information
Author, Caspian Rychlik-Prince, added:

Essentially all the success has been down to Apple.com exposure; game would otherwise have floundered in obscurity forever. When Apple.com exposure finishes we expect sales to drop back down to the usual mediocre levels. We’ve had an unusually large amount of fan mail about this game.

I asked the author how they ended up in the the apple.com’s front page, and he responded:

I think they just liked the game :) Happened to Ultratron too.

Thanks for the info Cas, and good luck with the sales.

P.S. There’s a recently started puppy games blog now available. Click here to visit the blog.

17 thoughts on “Sales Stats: Titan Attacks

1. Juris P

I’ve just had a blast with Titan Attacks. Strangely new yet somehow old. The soundtrack reminds me of my young Disco days, and spending time with the olde Quarter Eaters.

RE : It was simplicity itself to buy the game, I wish that more developers made the end registration interface so easy. No problem at all to fork over 10 USD (I would have paid more, but the price was a no brainer for me). I’d certainly like a sales update for the numbers sold. I’d also like to know which tools were used to program the game – BlitzMax perhaps? I’m playing it on a Mac as it is my main work computer, and fire up the PC mainly for MAME.

2. Pingback: GameDevMike

3. Pingback: Edevi, desarrollo indie de juegos » Blog Archive » Estadísticas de Ventas (III)

4. Cas

I myself think $19.95 is just a bit too much to pay for games. I’m thinking of reducing the price of Alien Flux down to the same level to see if it does any better (it’s a far more in-depth and rewarding game than either Ultratron or Titan really but no-one wants to risk spending $20 to find out if there’s more interesting stuff past level 10).

Close of play in March: 536 sales.

5. Dark Moon

Congraz to Cas for yet another great game! I bought both Ultratron and Titan Attacks! But I must agree with Chunder that I probably wouldn’t have paid if it was priced $20… The games from Puppygames actually inspired me to try java and LWJGL for my current game project. I’ve written an article about it on my blog, at http://www.darkmoonsw.com/blog.

6. Karl Becker

I really enjoyed Titan Attacks when I tried it out (learned about it completely from online forums, so do not underestimate the power of them). Thanks for the great sales figures – maybe the game is not a huge seller, but a 4.7% conversion rate is nothing to sneer at! Plus, these stats are only after 22 days – see how the game’s legs are and update the stats after 3 – 6 months, if you can at all.
    Good luck on a very fun game!

7. Chunder

@Jake Birkett: Obviously I can’t speak for everyone else out there, but having found the demo via download.com (I think), played it and loved it, I immediately went and paid the 10USD registration fee – that’s pocket-change kind of money that you can spend without really thinking too hard about it.
    20USD on the other hand would have made me stop and think – and I probably wouldn’t have registered… and I’m pretty certain that lots of other people will think the same.
    Probably the only ones who’d register are either hardened fans (either of the genre, of of PuppyGames), or perhaps other developers who recognise the effort that’s gone into the game.

/2p

8. Juuso - Game Producer Post author

@Twist: That depends. Some shareware receive only little mac sales while their windows sales are better.

@Chris: I will, if possible. That requires me to get data from the authors. In this case, I’m sure Cas will keep us updated ;)

9. Twist

I am a long time Mac user and from what I have seen over the years Mac shareware games seem to have stronger than average sales (as long as the game is decent) compared to your average Windows shareware title. Perhaps there is an advantage to having a smaller target audience which is more interested in casual games than larger more time consuming ones. There was a time when every Mac user I knew was in either a video or graphics field and most of them loved having little casual games like Airburst or Maelstrom available to kill a few minutes with but they didn’t really have the time to devote to larger games.

If possible releasing multi-platform titles is a great idea. If you aren’t relying on some platform specific feature then you might as well go for. Even if you don’t have a Mac yourself it shouldn’t be hard to find someone willing to beta test for you. And after that submit them to the more Mac-centric news and download sites like versiontracker.com, macupdate.com, insidemacgames.com, macminute.com, macnn.com, apple.com/downloads, etc.

10. Chris

Will you be posting updates to the sales figures for this game and the others featured, be nice to see how quickly/slowly sales fall off, or if holiday periods boost sales etc.

11. Cas

If only we could give up the dayjobs and do it full time :( Have more ideas swimming around in my head than I ever thought feasible, but only a few hours a week to do them. Bah.

thanks for the stats PuppyGames. Large number of sales, well done. Wonder how many you’d have sold at $19.99? less but 50% less, who knows?

Funny thing with making games, is yes, most games make next to nothing, yet you do really need to give up your job to put all the time into making them good. Making a game as a hobby will either take years or be not much good. Of course some games hit the big time, and we all dream of that, but only a small % will make it, and these days those seem to be the professional outfits with plush graphics, bigger than one man teams etc.

13. sakura games

Yes is fun every time someone leave their daily job to “become an indie”. Unless you can live with 100$/month (average income for a game) is better if you keep your daily job… ;)

14. Pingback: Puppyblog » Blog Archive » Titan Attacks Sales Stats

15. Ville

It’s a risky business, what if the Apple site hadn’t featured them. This shows it’s a good idea to do multiplatform if you can.