One Finished Task Every Day

I heard this lesson from one friend of mine: I try to complete one task every day.

I think that’s a good guideline for any busy people out there. Make sure you take at least one step every day to get your project going forward.

9 thoughts on “One Finished Task Every Day

1. Bilbo

I follow a similar admonition, “10 minutes a day”. Spend at least that much on my project, and more often than not, I’ll spend more time on it. The advantage is that it’s easy to quantify. The disadvantage is that it doens’t necessarily show any progress as this moniker does.

2. Doolwind

That statement is both good and bad.

It’s good as it encourages you to break your tasks down into their smallest components possible. This will allow you to estimate the length of time a task will take more accurately, and will psychologically make you feel like your achieving more.

It’s bad because it may force you to ‘complete’ a task even when it’s not really finished. You might see you’ve only got a few hours left in the day so you’ll rush your work just to get it done. The other problem you may find is you start adding over simplified tasks which will only take a few minutes to do simply so you can feel as though you’ve completed a task for the day without doing any real work.

3. Tim Fisher

It’s important for me to feel that something has been accomplished, no matter how small a task. I also ensure that tasks are well documented and that they are worked through in order of of importance. Working this way keeps me motiviated and also helps me sleep better :)

4. Captain P

I think that’s a good lesson. Dividing a large project into small, doable tasks makes you work more focussed and gives you the idea you’re actually getting closer to the finish, rather than always seeing that big bulk you still have in front of you. At least that’s the way it goes for me when I don’t divide the stuff…

5. Omroth

I don’t think that’s the “wisdom” at all, I think it’s talking about actually moving forward each day by completing even a very small thing on the todo list, even if the majority of the day is spent experimenting with something which may not come to anything.

Ian

6. Mike

I agree but it depends. Sometimes I can do 10 tasks a day and sometimes I do -1 tasks (that means breaking something). But having that printed in your mind that you must work for one task every day makes your brain work better because it knows there is no rest and it will help you. Just like you always figure out a way to eat because you know you must eat.

7. Ville

Not every day maybe. I think the wisdom behind that idea is that you should work on a game regularly, and not just do it when you feel like it. Of course this only goes for indie productions.