World of Warcraft’s latest expansion Burning Crusade is out now and players are rushing to get it. From a producer’s marketing viewpoint it’s quite interesting to see what the new features are:
* An increase in the level cap to 70
* New spells for each class
* Two new playable races: Blood Elves & Draenei
* The entire new continent of Outland
* Many new zones and high-level dungeons
* Hundreds of new monsters, quests, and items
* A new profession: Jewelcrafting
* Flying mounts in Outland
Basically it’s pretty much like more new stuff on the original game. I’m sure that works – and with a strong brand such as WoW it can be done. Over and over. Some players complained about the level cap of the original game (The maximum level you could reach was something like 50 or 60) – so now Blizzard is doing what the players want: giving you more tools to continue playing.
I’m sure this expansion pack will do fine and game producers can learn from this concept: selling your expanded product – bigger and better – to your existing customers will work. Simply adding new features and polishing your product will help sales.