One of you readers – Swirley – asked what to do if you cannot code:
thankâ€™s for the help but in more of a art person and i dont know any1 who knows how 2 code or anything im just starting from skrach.
Well, I believe there’s some routes you can take. First, you could simply hire somebody to code for you. The second option would be to partnership somebody who can code. Third option could be “learn to code”, although I personally don’t think it’s a good option to do everything by yourself. I’d recommend finding some reliable long-term business partner with whom you could make the games you want.
Okay, those choices was pretty obvious – and won’t help much if you don’t know where to find programmers. Art people probably know lots of art forums, and spend their time asking programmers in those graphics forums. A better option is to go there where the programmers hang out.
Here’s three places where you can find programmers
- Indiegamer – lots of casual game makers and programmers. Just go there and tell people that you are an “art dude looking to partner with a coder” and you’ll get plenty of responses.
- GameDev – Another place filled with coders. Just go there and tell you’d like to get into making games. I’m sure you’ll find people to help you out.
- Rent a Coder – If you already have a clear idea and need to hire somebody, you might consider throwing a project proposal to this site. There’s plenty of takers out there.
Naturally I recommend to check out people’s background and past projects before getting into bigger partnership with them. That will save everybody’s time and effort.
Remember to do a proper proposal
I wrote in the past on How to find an artist for your game project. While that post was meant for programmers, it still contains useful information for those who want to find programmers for their projects.
I believe there’s couple of essential you need to do:
- An (online) portfolio: Make sure you have a some kind of portfolio that you can show to people. It doesn’t matter to make a fancy looking website. What’s important is that you need to put your fancy looking work online so people can easily check what kind of artist you are.
- Past experience: If you have made games (or some related projects) before, it would be good to mention those projects and tell how you contributed to them.
Start spending time on where programmers are. I’m sure you’ll find somebody to help you out.