Here’s a quick test that can tell you how organized you are. It has one easy step that includes counting, and second step that includes checking the results:
The First Easy Step: Count the total number of icons (shortcut icons, game icons, folders, documents etc.) you have in your computer desktop
Count all text files, shortcut icons, exes… anything you might have in your computer desktop.
The Step Number Two: check the following points and see your results:
- “I didn’t count”: you have either a very short attention span or you are just being lazy. Go back to step one and come back after you’ve finished.
- 1-7 icons: either your math is poor or you’ve just installed windows: no game producer will have that few icons. Get more stuff to do.
- 8-19 icons Good, you’ve managed to keep things tidy and put unnecessary stuff in folders properly. I bet your physical desktop is clean too.
- 20-49 icons: There are some unused icons on your desktop. I’d suggest creating couple of folders in your desktop and then simply putting unnecessary stuff to those folders. You might also delete some old images or installers that you don’t need any more. Oh, and if you don’t want to delete those .zip archives, then simply move them to one folder to get more room for important things.
- 50-89 icons Locate the trash can. There’s an icon called “Recycle Bin” in your desktop (hopefully). If you can find it, put some stuff there – okay?
- “I lost count”: Either you don’t take seriously tests like these or your desktop needs some serious cleaning. Group some stuff properly, and perhaps delete something unimportant – and come back to do the test again.
- 90+ There’s not much hope for you – keep on getting lots of stuff to do simultaneously, adding more programs and buy a new computer when hard drive comes full…. remember to ignore tips about doubling your productivity and keep getting assignments (which you can then place on your desktop).
There you go, hopefully you enjoyed the test.
My own result: 30 icons (pretty clean). What about you?