I’ve said a few good words about Nintendo Wii in the past and mentioned how Wii seems like a really good platform for indies games. Wii games are simple and fun, not relying on fancy graphics. Doesn’t that sound exactly what casual and indie games are all about? Now Nintendo is coming up with a solution: >WiiWare.
Here’s WiiWare in a nutshell:
- WiiWare is done using a game-creation service that will allow developers large and small to create new downloadable video game content for Nintendo Wii
- Games are specifically built for Wii and sold via the Wii Shop Channel (for Wii Points currency)
- Nintendo isn’t only seeking WiiWare from established publishers and developers
- Nintendo is seeking from indie developers as well
- Shorter, original, more creative games from small teams with big ideas
- Adults Only titles like Manhunt 2 aren’t welcome (I told you that violence doesn’t sell – since it won’t get published…)
- The first WiiWare titles from Nintendo and third-parties to become available in 2008
Now we’ll just wait to get those tools in our hands.