What Makes Your Game Special?

I would like to hear comments from you readers who are making games. I’d like you to tell us what makes your game special. If you could pick one thing that makes your game special, what would it be? How your game is different from the competition? Is it special at all?

The special design can be anything. It can be a new way of marketing (that’s one way to make the game special) or a new way of controlling the game. It can be very specially prepared smooth gaming experience: finding other players online easily for example. It can be scores or unique ranking system. It can be blood. It can be awards. It can be social aspects. Anything that’s unique goes.

If you haven’t put attention to this earlier, how about thinking about it now.

What makes your game special?

11 thoughts on “What Makes Your Game Special?

1. Over00

My game is a strategy Risk-like game. To make something a bit special, I polished the tool I was using and let the players build the maps that are added to the game.

So far, the maps created by the players are far much better than my own and it opens a different way to “play the game”.

2. ZeHa

A specialty of our first game (www.gloomy-nights.de – still a German-only site, but just click onto the “Download” button (the game is in English)) are the little cut scenes. It’s very arcady but it’s got those tiny amusements in between levels. At the beginning, it somehow explains changes in gameplay (such as faster enemies or something), but later, it’s just for amusement and even contains graphics that don’t appear in the game.

Our new game isn’t too far yet, but a specialty is that it combines several cool gameplay ideas smoothly, and in the end it will be very unique, since those gameplay ideas aren’t too well represented today either. So, it’s not a match-3 ;) it’s actually a sort of gameplay I really miss today. We’ll see if other folks are missing it, too ;)

3. ilya

(Serious Space Invaders)

My game’s special because I made all of the menus by drawing an image of the entire menu in MSPaint, putting that in the game, and drawing some more images to go over the first one when the user highlights an option, ect.

It’s also special because the installer has a fake reboot message after it’s done.

4. HoboBen

I’m about to resume developing something that I decided I wanted to switch programming language for (I will be using a new langauge called Cobra
    http://www.squeakyduck.co.uk/ with 3D still in Beta)

Basically, I really enjoyed making my own physics engine, and made that a strong point of the Blitz3D prototype. I’ve had a lot of good feedback by making the game free to download all the way from the earliest version, which is what really let me improve.

In the end, I hope to publish it (I’ve set myself a target of “before 2010″!), but I want to have a lot of fun developing my coding skills and getting good feedback all the way until it’s finished. That’s why I’ll release lots of demos along the way, instead of keeping it secret until it’s published.

And I also hope to self-publish, with a proper DVD boxed case and printed CDs, which might be fairly unique too!

5. Tuna

My game is a mix between RTS, and FPS. Basically how it works is you form a team, and have a commander guy who directs the players around the map using an overhead RTS view – this person can select and direct just like in any other RTS. The other members of the team play in an FPS view, when the RTS commander player can select the FPS players and direct them to an area on the map, when this happens they FPS player gets a beacon on his radar. The FPS players are also instrumental in gathering resources, constructing buildings, and using the vehicles produced by said buildings.

6. Nathan F.

Our game (a student project), Master Plan flips the traditional player/boss mechanic on its head. You play as the villain and design a vehicle of mass destruction. When you’ve terrorized the city enough, the hero tries to stop you.