I’ve mentioned our issues with game animations a few times in the past, and to be honest: I didn’t except animations to cause us that much work in the project. I’m glad we’ve found a professional animator in the team, but there’s still problems to solve before characters are done.
In fact, now we have finally managed to export animations in the project – but there’s another problem. Now the animations work when run alone. When we combine two different set of animations to one character, it won’t work. We are checking out the Max hierarchy and trying to find out what might be causing the problem when the game engine loads the additional animations. Since two files aren’t working, next we are going to put all the character animations in one file – and let the engine splice them properly.
There are unexpected moments in game production, and while it’s almost impossible to know what might unexpected might happen – it’s good to expect that something won’t work as planned.
Expect the unexpected, and when that happens – find the solution.