Google Apps For Game Producers (You’ve Tried?)

I recently visited the Google Apps site and realized that there’s very much stuff that game producers can use in their work. I’ve kind of overlooked the service, and merely briefly tested the calendar and gmail… but there’s more than those.

Gmail
Well, the obvious. Although recently I heard rumours that you could use your own domain when sending gmail. Worth checking out.

Google calendar
I had overlooked the ability to share and “schedule times” with people. I might want to use this for finding times for virtual meetings for example. Totally overlooked this one…

Google docs
How does “project planning & task assigning in a virtual team” sound to you?

I’ve overlooked these. Have you used the apps in game production? What’s your rating (1 out of 5 stars) for the apps? (I’m gonna test them at some point)

13 thoughts on “Google Apps For Game Producers (You’ve Tried?)

1. Jesper

I used google apps when I set up Ludosity, a small casual game developer, I don’t know if the guys still use it but it was a very effective and productive tool.

The only problem is that everyone really needs to fully embrace these apps, they can’t use them in paralell with another system. That messes everyones schedules up.

And of course, there is still no real project planner or ToDo list solution in gApps yet. Even though gmails recent Todo is a great little tool it isn’t ubiquitous or social enough.

2. Casey

I use GMail, Google Reader, GCal, and Google Docs extensively. My classmates and I use Docs for just about every class, since we usually all work together. The only thing that doesn’t quite fit is our source control. It would be great if there was a Google SVN.

3. Michel Bartz

I Actually use those services for managing my projects.
    Google Doc is very usefull, i usually work in very small team (up to 4) , and i put the ToDo list their and also the feature list, and everybody uses the same one, so it’s a lot easier to keep a track of whats going on with your project.

Google Cal is very simple, i use it to schedule meeting or milestone as it’s very easy to share it with co-worker.

And gmail of course, i uses the desktop version of GTalk, i prefer this to regular IM because it’s very simple, don’t have fancy smiley or stuff like that, it’s good for what i ask it to do : chatting!

So yes Google is the big devil of the web, but those tools are very useful and it would be a shame to not use them.

4. PM Hut

It is true that you can use your own domain with gmail, I’ve seen it.

Now for the Google Calendar and the Google Docs as Project Management tools, the problem is still in the integration. These products are not well integrated. I don’t think people producing these online PM tools should not feel threatened, at least for the moment.

5. Oliver

@Juuso: Smack me if I am wrong but I think GMail already has Google Gears integration which allows you to use it offline. It syncs once it’s back online. But again.. I could be wrong. I know this works for Google Docs, though.

If it has no Google Gears integration: You can activate IMAP functionality from your preferences. So yes, it comes with IMAP.. GMail labels are mapped as folders and even the Trash Bin works correctly on IMAP. ;)

6. Steven Egan

There are more apps to look into for game projects. Sites gives you a free wiki that can easily use the docs and calendar apps in it. Blogger is a free blogging platform and then there is the reader. All of that is with a single log-in.

I like it and have been using it for a few years. While there are some limitations, it works well without the headache of all the other log-ins.

7. Juuso Hietalahti Post author

Oliver & Sam: thanks for the detailed insight. I hadn’t even consider such possibilities.

Toni: the thing I dislike about gmail is that it’s web UI only… and I presume there’s no Imap possiblity (for phone/outlook for example) if I’m correct…

BC: heh, healthy dose of paranoia is always good…

8. BC

I’m probably going to be shot down for being a conspiracy-theorist nutter but…don’t Google generally allow themselves access to anything you make or get by email on some of their stuff.

I know this is mostly to put bots to work to target advertising but if you were working for a client or something you may have difficulty using google stuff because they wouldn’t want others to see.

But it is all rather nice to use :D

9. Toni Mäkinen

My hosting provider was nice to include those services automagicly with my domain service. All my domain email (@taboobuilder.com) uses Gmails service.

I haven’t really used those other services that much. I use Open Office for my excel needs.

10. Sam

GMAIL – Anyone who’s had email at the very least heard of it. Now coupled with GTalk for IM, file sharing and video chats will find it invaluable in their virtual development meetings. I am currently using as I find it less “busy” than skype.

GCAL – I’ve been using this for both work and personal and say that when combined with Thunderbird can really schedules on track. Additionally, you can send out invitations to the scheduled event to everyone on your address book (fellow gmailers will be looked after a couple of letter typed)

GOOGLE DOCS – Perhaps the most integral in virtual development processes, with abilities to work in .doc .xls .ppt etc., this has made creating spreadsheet charts, design docs, and presentation slides all the more efficient. Having worked with various artists, programmers from across the globe makes these tools all the more essentail as you can invite and collaborate and simultaneously edit the documents on the fly. There is even a chat feature and indicator to notify all when someone is online and working on them. (NOTE – only issues I’ve notices is that the spreadsheets WILL NOT store images, only text).

All in all, a solid and well-desined suite of tools for those businesses who require cloud computing. I myself will continue to use them as new projects come to light.

11. Oliver

Google Mail / Calendar: I love them and use them daily. Google Mail now has functionality to manage ToDo lists, too.. you can activate that in the “Labs” menu. It also has a Google Calendar integration now (agenda view or monthly overview).

Google Docs: I’ve used them in a team collaboration but stopped using it after a bug prevented one of the team members to log into his Google Docs account. The bug has been fixed now but by that time we had already switched to Dropbox (getdropbox.com), which is great, too.

I can also recommend Google Notebook for research / note taking. It comes with a neat little plugin for Firefox. Select a portion of a webpage including pictures and all, right click, -> “Note this”. Puts it directly into your notebook from where you can manage your notes and export them to Google Docs and so on.