I Just Bought Some Anime DVDs (Warning: Piratism Rant In This Blog Post)

I bought some of anime DVDs and they arrived today (DVDs cost only 3.33 EUR each). The moment I mentioned about this purchase to my brother he said “why not use Torrent?”. I know it was jokingly said (my bro doesn’t use torrent stuff), but that still got me thinking that it really is so that people with decent Internet connections think first about getting movies illegally.

I spent bit over 10 bucks to get these 3 DVDs.

I think that’s dirt cheap.

And I really can’t see a point in using Torrent to get this stuff. If the stuff one watches is good, why pirate it which basically votes for “I don’t wanna support the authors so that they would make more of this good stuff”? Why not get try work for some bucks or buy less stuff or do something to earn that stuff? I know why: “because it’s so easy to pirate”. Just click and you are done. Click & it’s there.

I feel proud to legally own these DVDs and have them in my shelf.

Sorry for the rant.

11 thoughts on “I Just Bought Some Anime DVDs (Warning: Piratism Rant In This Blog Post)

1. Juuso Hietalahti Post author

@Ezequiel:
    First, about this:
    “That’s kind of a strawman argument. I’m glad you spent 10 dollars to get 3 DVDs, but that’s not the usual price of a DVD. “
    I simply told my bro that I get some anime dvds and his initial reply was “why not use torrent”, so – it wasn’t about money – it was about the fact that he thought pirate thing first. Don’t see how that’s “strawman argument”.

1. “Even now I’m having a hard time thinking about a single moment of it I have enjoyed it. ”
    -> Hmm… then why waste your time watching crap? Why not wait everybody tell how Lost is good and then watch it from TV when it comes? Or why not buy the DVDs and watch them the time they come? Or if you gotta pirate them, why not buy at least some of the Lost DVDs at some point? ;)

2. Got the rationale, although of course this could be used for everything “I bet they will show this in TV at some year so it’s okay for me to pirate”. Why not wait for the TV episode then?

3. “So after watching Bedtime Stories for free I could argue I was ripped off.”
    Hehee, well, maybe you should become a movie reviewer – those get paid to watch movies? ;)

The rant stuff I wrote is was… a rant. I can see two sides of the coins. Sometimes it just amazes me that people use pirated stuff so easily. I don’t think everybody should have only legal stuff in their computers (yeh, I think so – although I personally use only legal stuff today). I can understand some piratism (especially stuff like abandonware), and I think that companies who want to (1) fight piratism and (2) get better DRM have chosen the wrong path (I’m with Ben here)… but I still think that the pirates who just pirate for the sake of pirating and argue that “stuff is too expensive” are making excuses.

I’ve literally seen some pirates spending hundreds of hours of work into ripping stuff & sharing them… I mean, these guys won’t have time to watch all the stuff they’ve pirated. I think if they would have spent that time working they could like buy two houses, porche and truckload of legal DVDs… but they chose to pirate because… well, I dunno. Maybe they just like pirate.

Thanks Ezequiel for your lengthy reply.

2. Ben

@CaesarsGhost

Sounds great, except you always get the issue where it’s not available in certain countries (e.g. here in the UK)

Juuso hit’s the nail on the head here:

> “because it’s so easy to pirate”. Just click and you are done. Click & it’s there.

Companies really need to get their act together and compete with that. Worldwide. Free or really-good pricing, reliable quality and a big selection.

For a good example, see Valve’s Steam for games. It’s *better* than piracy.

3. Ezequiel

@Juuso: I think the point “Your_rant” was trying to make is that the beer line (“Why not get god damn job or buy less beers or do something to earn that stuff? “) is condescending and misses the fact that many people don’t pirate because of money issues.

You asked me why don’t I buy the product. Well, I honestly don’t know. (honestly). But let me give you three examples:

1. In some cases, it is related to the fact that by the time the product is available to me I have already forgotten about it. For example, yesterday I watched “Bedtime stories”. I just wanted to see a light comedy so I downloaded it and watched it. I got just what I wanted at that moment, and after watching it I forgot about it. Even now I’m having a hard time thinking about a single moment of it I have enjoyed it. I don’t really think I would be buying the dvd anytime soon. So to put it in your words, yes, “I don’t wanna support the authors so that they would make more of this stuff” . Not all the media I consume is a masterpiece I would like to encourage (and generally, most of the media I consume is replaceable rubbish that just keeps me busy when I don’t have anything better to do)

2. In other cases, I wouldn’t have to pay a dime to get to the content legally. For example, today I saw Lost, this week’s chapter. That particular chapter will be aired in my country in some months. Probably this year. And when the time comes, if I wanted to be a law abiding citizen, I would just have to tune the right channel at the right time and watch it. I wouldn’t be paying a dime. But instead I choose “the dark side”: download it, and watch it when I feel like it. So your “buy original” idea is not useful here, because I wouldn’t have to pay anything to “buy original” in this case.

3. This is related to the first point. Maybe most people think that most of the movies/games/music/series they consume is not worth the current price, or it is only worth the time spent. Think about it, time is not free, so just the mere act of spending 2 hours watching a movie means I have spent something. So after watching Bedtime Stories for free I could argue I was ripped off. This may seem too extreme, but it is something to take into consideration. How could a producer take advantage of the time I spent on his product and make money out of it? Well, I don’t know, it is not my job. But maybe he could try getting profit from product placement, merchandising and services instead of trying to sell me a flat round piece of plastic (i.e. dvd) that symbolizes the production cost.

I’m not stupid, I know things have a value. But maybe the entertainment industry is bloated, since each day it it is getting harder for them to find consumers willing to pay the price of its products. So yes, maybe paying $10 to go see the latest blockbuster is too much, even if that’s the price that enough people have to pay to get the product done. Think on the other hand about theater (I mean the one with the real people on stage), just last month I spent $180 to watch a musical and $90 to watch a play the next day. That’s the same as buying 9 music cds, or about 6 dvd movies, or one PC game (yes, that’s right, only one PC game on my country). But there I was, the cheap pirate, who is too lazy to go “support the artist”, paying a total of $270 to see people singing on stage.

So what’s the difference? Well, the difference is that they can charge that because it is a product that can’t be reproduced. Everytime they want my money they have to go out and do real work on a real stage (same goes for live music I guess). And if I wanted to have the same experience again I can’t download it, I have to pay for it again. And even then the experience would probably be different (different cast, an actor making a mistake or improving, people laughing at different parts, and so on).

I know the argument, movie tickets all add up to pay for the huge budget it takes to make a movie. But as you can see, the argument is failing to work, because it is getting harder (for whatever reason) to get people to pay for that.

4. Juuso Hietalahti Post author

@Ezequie: why not then get the product pirated, and also buy a copy?

@Your_rant:
    “Which source of information did you use to draw this conclusion?”
    - my brain. it was merely a thought – not a conclusion;)

“Did this source also tell you that the pirates are unemployed alcoholics?”
    - what are you talking about?

“Hey this is a good source you are using for information would you mind sharing it with everyone.
    Have you ever used a torrent in your life? No I do not mean for illegal actives because there are plenty of other uses such a Qt linux etc etc”

1) my brain
    2) yes.
    I’m missing your point. :)

I ordered a DVD boxset a while back from Ebay to watch with my kids only to discover it was a pirated version, just a load of low quality AVIs. I asked for a refund and got it. I guess the deal did look “too good to be true”.

6. Ezequiel

Also, there are other reasons and I’ll give you my reasons (which may be extreme):

a. I basically don’t own a dvd player, don’t have dvd playing software installed on my computer. The one I had I borrowed it and never got it back. I know a dvd player is cheap, but I’m just showing how far I am from buying a dvd.
    b. I rather downloading a dvdrip (I don’t use torrent, I use rapidshare with an account I bought) because I can get more quality if I get an HD rip, without buying a blu ray player (and blu ray discs aren’t easily available in my country)
    b. I rather using an avi file because I can use custom subtitles in whatever size/font I want (this is not a detail since I’m a spanish speaker so most of the movies I watch are in english)
    c. I get dvd quality movies faster than the releases in my country.
    d. I don’t have to be forced to see antipiracy propaganda and general advertising (I don’t know if that’s a common thing, but in my country DVDs come with advertising that can’t be skipped). I just start my player and watch the movie.
    e. Most of the times, the movies I download are not worth being watched again, I just download them, watch them, and erase them.
    f. I don’t have to walk to the shop to adquire this.

I sometimes go to the cinema, but this option is making less sense as I upgrade my entertainment center.

So, it is not everything about price. It is also about the product you get and how you get it.

Could I rent movies? Of course, I do have the money.
    Why do I download them instead? Because I get a better product when I download.

7. CaesarsGhost

Most the people I know are pirating less movies/tv thanks to the ease of Hulu… whether it makes a difference or not -

Hulu is
    Free
    Legal
    Easy to Use
    Growing Daily
    High Definition
    On Demand

The more broadcasting companies fight putting their videos on sites, such as Hulu or their own Video networks, the more they’ll lose a potential customer to Torrents.

8. your_rant

“but that still got me thinking that it really is so that people with decent Internet connections think first about getting movies illegally.”
    Which source of information did you use to draw this conclusion?

“Why not get god damn job or buy less beers or do something to earn that stuff? ” Did this source also tell you that the pirates are unemployed alcoholics?

“I know why: “because it’s so easy to pirate”. Just click and you are done.”

9. Nikita Logachev

Which DVDs did you buy? :)

“or buy less beers” – that may sound like a funny comment to some, but I agree with the sentiment. Some people blow so much of their money on getting drunk and then complain about not having enough… How about trying to drink less? Might help your health as well as your wallet…

And it’s also true that the more people pirate software/movies/music/games, the less incentive the publishers and makers have to create BETTER content. Why put in the effort if you won’t get rewarded?