Future of Video Games? (OnLive)

I recently found this new concept of gaming: OnLive. Their idea is to have really darn good server computers where players with darn good internet connections can join and start playing. I’d guess the game is streamed (or something) to the user so the user requires no fancy hardware. I’ve heard about this concept some year back, and now OnLive is showing their system at the GDC. If somebody knows more, please let us know – I’d be really interested to know if this stuff really works.

Anyway, I think it’s a cool concept. Hopefully they’ll succeed with the idea.

10 thoughts on “Future of Video Games? (OnLive)

1. Juuso Hietalahti Post author

Hmm, dunno. It could work. I mean… there’s plenty of people who can figure out reasons why something doesn’t gonna work… and plenty of reasons why there won’t be more than 5 PCs in the world or why we will never travel to moon or why the CD rom will be the end of piratism..

But who knows.. maybe this could work… Not sure when, but maybe after 10 or 20 years? We’ll see.

2. Sargon

Although, this should kill piracy, don’t you think?
    At least for games that will be available only on streaming.

3. hObbE - Spell of Play

I also don’t think you should underestimate the desire of people wanting to actually own stuff “physically”. It’s taken a long time for “pure” digital products to be widely accepted and adopted and I think people still want stuff on their drives to enjoy at their convenience and not be bound to a service provider.

4. Lamonte | Free FPS Games

Hmm, and in years apparently US internet companies will start putting bandwidth limits like they have down in Australia I heard.

This is like a video based “steam” type company. Instead of downloading the software you play it on the go. Don’t see this company competing with steam.

5. DtD Software

I don’t think (or hope) it will succeed. People’s internet speeds just aren’t fast enoguh to handle good quality video at 1152*864 or 1280*800 or 1280*768 (The three resolutions I play games on, many people go higher) at 60 FPS in full color, then you throw in sound which is also very fat to stream absolutly live.

~DtD

6. foo

The game is supposedly streamed to the user as images, but how they are going to do this or why they are just doing this for games is anyones guess. General consensus is that it is a load of bull. Sixty frames a second a good quality video! Do you not think the whole video media industry would want this? Some of the problems are:
    a lot of broadband users have download limits.
    you do need a extra box to play.
    how are they going to get rid of lag when the games is not even on the same machine as the user.
    What sort of super computers are going to be needed to run this video encoding with thousands upon thousands of users.