Okay, bit over a week ago I said that I’d be taking each week a bit of time and mess around with prototypes. I wanted to check out what could it mean to get multiplayer system in Dead Wake (which is getting closer and closer to the actual release by the way) so I thought I might as well do a brief prototype around it.
This time I got help from an artist who spent couple of hours for testing the art (thanks Perttu) and spend around 6 hours in programming and coding and testing and communicating. I must say that “2 hour prototype’s” development time can easily be get longer when there’s (1) more than one guy doing stuff (we needed to communicate stuff with the artist) and (2) due multiplayer stuff.
Anyway, here’s a very brief youtube video (thanks Robert for playtesting) about the mini game:
I know the screen is pretty dark… hopefully not too dark though
It’s probably filled with bugs (and the client probably has quite a bit of problems), but overall it’s still works decently, so I’m happy about this. I’d say that at this point I won’t be trying to do more work to get multiplayer mode for Dead Wake before I get the other features out but now I got my weekly (last week’s) prototype out – and also got info about what it could mean to do multiplayer mode in BlitzMax.
It’s pretty cool to take breaks and see what sort of stuff you can get done with very limited time.