Opera Unite – “Platform” For Games?

Opera Unite (“a Web server on the Web browser”) looks really, really interesting concept. These guys are making it easy to share stuff between platforms, and I of course immediately thought “how to make games with this?”

I checked the system, and there might be possibilities for all sort of multiplayer games for example. If they can share files and stuff easily, then what would stop creating some sort of fancy games for this platform (they actually also mention “games” as one possibility for doing things).

Here’s one pretty descriptive article about this system: Developer Primer.

So, anyone gonna try this out? (If so, what kind of game you think you could do with this. Perhaps some sort of collaborative RPG or turn based games at least)

Update:
Ian gave a good insight why Opera Unite is NOT for gaming (thanks Ian):

Nope, definitely not; and here’s why in a (long, detailed) nutshell http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2009/06/16/thoughts-on-opera-unite/

Read, especially, the section covering the EULA for Unite, it’s highlighted in yellow so you can skim down to if if you’re impatient.

Oh, and hope you have a great time on your midsummer trip!

You can check out the link on your own, but what I got out from it was that basically Opera guys are taking anti-spam approach on this (which is kind of good for people), but by doing this it also makes it little tough place to start doing games if Opera gets to control over things. Reading EULAs is sometimes problematic, and things change… so I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions out of this yet. Read the article and use your own brain.

We’ll see how it goes.

7 thoughts on “Opera Unite – “Platform” For Games?

It’s pretty interesting thing, but who knows how it goes. Thanks Ian for the link.

Maybe for some sort of “casual-social games” this type of approach could work. Maybe we would need to think games bit differently than from the “download & play” point-of-view?

2. Steven Egan

I could see this as a LAN game variation. Since those computer games set up a “host” and so on. While I’m not so sure about how great an idea it is, I could see this as a hobbyist method for non-real-time games. Turn based games, indirect competition games and more could be done with low bandwidth consumption. In essence, some people want to create games but don’t have the resources to do all the stuff to set up a game server.

BTW first thing to pop into my head for this was Mario Party, Second was DOTA (Defense of the Ancients) and Third was Warcraft Party.

While I understand the first two comments, I don’t think that’s the end of the matter. If I could do it through Firefox, I’d probably create something like that, but I would really want a good connection.

3. karma

Seems to me like it’s a great idea. Making your own web page has always been reliant on your ISP homepage space or setting up servers/buying services. Now people can run small scale pages from anywhere, with minimum hassle and knowhow. As for Firefox being standard browser, it just isnt cutting it right now for some small details important to me like scaling of pixel art, unlike opera which does it properly.

4. null

“your users are being proxied through Opera and then sending and retrieving over your internet connection”
    Nope, thats a last resort used only if your router does not support UPnP. Other than that you use the Opera servers just as dynamic DNS resolver, the actual connection is P2P.
    “Plus, with the overhead of learning to configure and run this service… if you’re actually doing something you want to make available to people for more than a day or two”
    Ha, have you already tried to configure the service yourself? Damn, my grandma did that in two freaking minutes! And of course, the whole point is not to have the services running 24/7 thats why centralized servers are, but again, thats your choice.

And regarding to your last remark, as I said my grandma was able to share her pictures in a breeze and I’m pretty sure that she don’t have a #$@#$ idea of what a web server is, much less the knowledge to configure one.

@Lumooja always a pleasure to hear an educated opinion

5. Lumooja

Firefox is the standard browser. There’s no need for other browsers, no matter what they can do. If you want a Web Server, then get one, you can’t do that with random PCs and web browsers like Opera claims.

6. phu

Yikes. While it’s an interesting idea, this isn’t something I’d use… your uptime depends on your PC -and- Opera’s servers, your users are being proxied through Opera and then sending and retrieving over your internet connection (bandwidth and transfer limits become a problem here), your available machine power is hampered by running everything through Opera as well as running Opera itself (and a GUI if you’re running a Linux OS), and if you’re running Windows you’re probably offering up yet another way for virii to get to you.

Plus, with the overhead of learning to configure and run this service… if you’re actually doing something you want to make available to people for more than a day or two, it’d be a lot more beneficial to just go ahead and learn to run a web server on your machine. Even on Windows there’s XAMPP, and poking the appropriate holes in your firewall really isn’t that hard (and probably is something that someone making content available over the web should learn).