Kickstart Your Indie Game Project

I just discovered this site called Kickstarter. (Thanks to Rinkuhero’s tweet about his project there).

Basically… it’s a site where you can pledge for funding. You set a funds limit, then set expiration dates and some other things (check their site for details) and then people can choose to fund your project.

Here’s the interesting thing: If there’s not enough pledges, then all money is returned to the backers.

Kind of cool system, and possibly something that indies could use in their development.

Anyone else tried this?

8 thoughts on “Kickstart Your Indie Game Project

1. MrPhil

I think this would be a great way to allow users to fund improvements they’d like to see in a game and make it worth while to developers to implement.

2. A.J. Mortega

For those outside the US – I’d recommend checking out http://www.GiveForward.org I helped a good friend of mine raise over $30,000 through this site for her kidney transplant which saved her life. This organization give people the opportunity to set up their own Fund raising campaigns and provides the service of collecting money online. They take 3% off the total donations collected. This service is different from Kick Starter, but it could be a resource for those of you outside of the U.S. I’m currently in the process of setting up a fund raising campaign through Give Forward for the start-up game studio I’m at.

Happy Hunting!

3. Ronin

Yeah I noticed that too. The suggestion that has gotten the most votes in their forums though, is to internationalize it.
    So register and vote for it, and they might prioritize it ;)

4. Ronin

Wow! This is a great idea!
    I am sure alot of indies have problems getting money to kickstart their projects, like I do atm. Så this is definitely something I would want to try-

Now how to get an invite….

5. Brian 'Psychochild' Green

I remember there was another site like this a few years ago. I don’t think it was this site, but perhaps my memory isn’t what it used to be.

Does anyone know of any other sites like this? I’ve been trying to remember it for a while but it’s bugging me.

6. Wessel

It sounds quite interesting, however I noticed this:

“Due to current Amazon Payments policy, projects can only be started by people or entities with a U.S. address and bank account.”

I guess if it works well someone should start something like that over here (meaning: Europe) as well. :-)