How Many Computers & Consoles You Really Need?

Sometimes it makes me wonder how many computers & consoles developers have. In our home, we have three computers. I don’t have a console nor a smart phone. I have been pondering getting a bigger screen (and who knows what kind of PC upgrade that eventually leads) but that’s it. No consoles for me.

Friend of mine had been using a basic tower PC for quite a while. Then he switched to Mac laptop (not sure what happened to PC). He also has Xbox. And Wii. And assumingly a some sort of smart phone. And quite likely iPod Touch as well.

Does he need all those? I dunno. But when I start think of the amount of computers… for a “normal person” this might sound quite lot. Having 3 pretty powerful computers for 2 person home (soon to be 3…) might sound too much.

And this is not even much for average Joe engineer. I’m sure there’s geeks out there with iPhones, laptops, home computers and consoles – and plans to get more.

How many computers & consoles do we really must have in our places?

How many do you own? You use them all?

(Hmm, I could sure use PlayStation 3. For watching DVDs…)

22 thoughts on “How Many Computers & Consoles You Really Need?

1. Noodles

i have nes smaller version and bigger , snes x2 , 64 x 3, gamecube, orginal gameboy, gameboy pocket, gameboy adv, ds, 3 desktop 2000 xp, win 7 xbox, xbox 360, ps1, ps2, lynx (atari version of gameboy) thats just me i use the 2000 for old games and xp for modding 360, im a collector of old video games mobile and ipod touch . thats just me, my parents (im 17) a desktop and laptop. my brother notebook and laptop.
    i fix computers as a hobbie and sell them on ebay. so yeah but i wanna get some thing like a ipad but with like a windows 7 os just for dignostics for my other pc

2. retroking

i own these consoles

A

ACORN ELECTRON
    ACORN ARCHIMEDES A3010 (JUST GOT)
    AMSTRAD CPC464 X2
    AMSTRAD CPC6128 (JUST GOT)
    AMSTRAD GX4000
    ATARI 1040 STE
    ATARI 520 STFM
    ATARI 2600 (six switch)
    ATARI 2600 (junior)
    ATARI XE GAMES SYSTEM

C

COMMODORE 16 X2
    COMMODORE 16+4 X2
    COMMODORE 64
    COMMODORE 64 MK2 X2
    COMMODORE VIC20 (BADGED VC20)
    COMMODORE AMIGA 500 X3

SEGA MEGA DRIVE 1 X5
    SEGA MEGA DRIVE 2 X3
    SEGA MEGA CD 2
    SEGA SATURN X2 BOTH ARE DIFFERENT
    SINCLAIR ZX SPECTRUM 16K X2
    SINCLAIR ZX SPECTRUM 48K X2
    SINCLAIR ZX SPECTRUM 128K +2 X2(1 made in uk and 1 made in taiwan)
    SINCLAIR ZX SPECTRUM +3
    SINCLAIR QL
    SONY PLAYSTATION X4 ALL 4 ARE DIFFERENT VERSIONS
    SONY PLAYSTATION ONE
    SONY PLAYSTATION 2 X2
    SONY PLAYSTATION 3
    SONY PSP X2

i think thats all of them

3. Ed Maurina

- One high-powered PC as a primary all around (development, game playing, fun) machine.
    - One MacBook Pro for working and demoing on the road (doubles as OS X and Windows dev/demo machine)
    - iPod for iPhone apps dev target
    - XBox 360 for fun (sure I wanted a PS3 but it was too pricey at the time)
    - PS2 for cheap older games fun. Lots and lots of cheap older games.

4. Katherine

Myself and my partner have a reasonably high power computer each. I have a laptop (mainly because I don’t think it would be worth it to sell, and it has proved useful as a backup should one computer fail, and it is useful for taking on holiday to play games on) and a PS2 that I never play so I lent it to my sister.

One of my friends has a PS2, PS3, Wii, XBox360, DS, PSP (I think), a fancy phone, a computer (and probably his partner has one too). O_o

I just bought Psycho I DVD. Black & white. So cool…

@Spunkmeyer – your listing of gadgets is pretty much what I was thinking when writing this blog post.. “Sounds pretty normal to me :-)”

6. Lumooja

You don’t watch DVDs with a PS3, you watch BluRay3Ds!
    No other device in the world can do that yet!
    DVDs and BluRays are now officially obsolete and should not be used anymore.

7. Eckyman

I have a desktop, a netbook, a PSP, a Zune, and a mid-range camera phone for pictures (nothing fancy like a smartphone / iPhone)

My significant other has a desktop, a laptop, a PDA, a lower grade phone than mine.. maybe a cheap MP3 player too now I think about it.

Consoles – we own 2 PS2′s (for online multiplayer some time ago), 2 Xbox 360′s, and a Wii.

Everything gets used.

Desktops at home, netbook/laptop while at work/on the move/cant be bothered moving from the couch. The Zune has all my music on it and is used daily at work/home/in the car.. the PSP hasn’t seen much action over the last few months but I usually get a lot of use from that just playing Monster Hunter on and off. The phone is in use daily for personal & work pictures – not so much in use as an actual phone though.

The 360 is the main console these days although I still play a few titles on the PS2. The Wii gets used the least right now but set to change when the one and only game I want for the thing (Monster Hunter 3) is released.

8. golergka

iPhone, DS, PSP, ps3 (I specially searched for one which supports ps2 games) PC (tower, custom-made hi-end), eBook reader (some basic sony model), iPod (160 gbs are really not enough for me), and I’m going to buy an iPad when it will be available here.
    Oh, and the laptop at work as well.
    Also, my gf has 2 PCs (one big laptop as primary, and the netbook for travel).

9. hermitC

2008 Win Vista laptop for work (don’t ask me why I chose Vista – fancy but also crappy OS) and a NDS I won at a sweepstake. No smartphone, just a simple mobile for short messages and calls.

I lost the need for gaming sometime in the last century. The game “game producer” is all I play since 2000. Maybe I have to go back to the roots some day…

10. Tobias Scheuer

We have two PCs (getting used less and less) and one laptop each (getting used more often) for gaming and development, internet access and all that. Mobile phone for calls and ann occasional SMS, but no fancy stuff. No console, and no device with an apple on it. One mp3 player to use on the train.

Good idea to ask for board and card games. We have dozens, and played even more, one of the public libraries around here also has games, so you can try out. We brought a few nice games from the games convention in Essen last September, too, and we even met a few really interesting indie card game designers (and bought their games)!

It all depends on your focus, of course. If you’re into tech, then you have to look at consoles and modern graphics hardware. If you’re mostly interested in gameplay, all that high-tech stuff is not so important, but board and card games come into your focus…

Helen and I both have a laptop (hers is a PC and mine a Mac) and I have a proper PC workstation for games and work, which my kids also use but I’d be more comfortable if they had their own (my eldest son used to have a 2nd hand crappy PC but it was slow slow and crappy as to be practically useless).

Consoles are Xbox 360 (North Amercian), and Wii and PS2 (from UK). Still packed in the UK are Gamecube, PS1, Megadrive. We have 3 Nintendo DSs, and I have an iPhone.

As a game designer I believe it’s good to try out games on many different platforms to get ideas. I really *should* have a PS3 just to try out a few games.

Perhaps a good idea is to ask people how many Board/Card games they have too :-)

12. sb

In our house:

MacBook for Programming
    Win Tower for Testing
    Ubuntu Laptop for.. well… Ubuntu-ing
    Wife’s Win Laptop
    Kid’s Wii
    Kid’s DS (x2)
    Kid’s iPods (x2)
    PS3, general family gaming (mostly Rock Band) + DVD

If you had 8 year old twins, you might find you’d have a similar stable of gaming devices. I probably wouldn’t own a console if not for the kids, but have to admit the PS3 is pretty nice. Although I’m not hardcore gaming on it like I might have been 10 years ago.

Most of the kid’s devices were presents from an uncle who spoils them quite a bit. Wish I’d have had such an uncle in my Nintendo days, when it took an entire summer to save enough cash for Legend of Kage.

13. tonic

At home we have currently these computers/consoles which are in actual use: 2 windows pcs, 1 old ppc mac mini (just does bit of auto-backups nowadays), 1 intel mac mini, 1 atom linux server/firewall, 1 mini laptop, nintendo wii, playstation 3 (just bought this).

For not frequently used computers… add to that bunch one old Pentium II linux server which is almost fully retired (it’s not on all the time anymore), and some 1-2 old laptops as well. And there’s even a few more older computers in the closet, under my table and so on.. :)

14. Omar

Well our family is just my wife and myself, and we have 2 recent model windows laptops, 1 iMac, a late 2008 macbook, 2 iPhones, psp, wii, xbox 360 and ps3

15. JIFF

But you know, they’re so pretty…
    i agrre with you, I like computers, but having so many is a waste, I only have my gaming desktop, an iPod Touch and at work I have a laptop, that’s why I never bought a netbook and I don’t get this iPad stuff

16. Spunkmeyer

1 biger Laptop as an energy saving desktop-PC-replacement. A small notebook (1.5 ghz) for travelling and at university.

iTouch for music, calendar, games, apps, wikipedia offline, dictionary, notes, alarm clock.

A small mobile phone wich just can make calls and short messages. I don’t use it often.

Gaming:
    PSP wich I try to develop on (unofficial SDK) and some exclusive funny titles.
    NDS, since my favorite series is only available on that handheld.
    Playstation 2, again for my favorite series.

Thats it. Sounds pretty normal to me :-)