How to Get More Donuts?

After Dead Wake release I’m getting back to drawing board. I have got pretty good publicity. When Hightailed – years ago – got into PC Zone I was totally thrilled – and had the same feeling when Dead Wake got into PC Gamer zombie edition (the issue which I unfortunately could not get to myself). But you can’t buy stuff with just publicity alone.

Besides publicity I’ve been also earning some donut money from this whole gaming stuff. Okay, bit more than donut money, but it’s not like I could buy a house with the money that my games have brought me.

At least not a very big one.

I guess that’s the next thing that I’m interested in taking. Taking a bigger step. Earning tons of donuts. House-buy much donuts.

So… how do I get more donuts? That’s one thing I’m pondering.

Maybe that’s what I have been pondering too much. Maybe I’ve cared about the financial side and put some mental donuts blocks to myself. Maybe I’ve cared too much about the budgets and shit.

I have master’s degree from some computer biz thing. And studies in marketing. And tons of practical production experience (both from gaming & outside gaming). I’m good at serving people and have done all sorts of cool deals with cool companies (which have brought me quite a bit of donuts – figuratively speaking). I’m pretty good at coming up stuff that people want or could be interested in. I have a very practical approach on things. I’ve been grown up to certain type of approach in “business world”. This is one perspective.

I’m also looking this whole donuts business from another perspective.

I read this book Ignore Everybody and the perspective of that book is quite radical to everything I’ve read & practiced so far. In this book, the author recommends forgetting everything about what the others say – forget about money totally (when doing your own thing). And just do your thing as long as it’s fun. (Read the first chapter online for free and you get the point).

That sort of sums up what indie game production should be.

Has it been like that for me?

I suppose it’s not so black and white. To some extent, yes, it has been like that. To some extent, no, it hasn’t been like that.

Maybe I should just stop thinking donuts.

Forget donuts completely. And start making something totally cool. Something fun without giving a thought on “how many donuts will this thing get to me”.

Perhaps that is the solution.

8 thoughts on “How to Get More Donuts?

Ah yes I did read that free bit of the book before. Makes sense but I don’t think that holding down a full-time job gives you enough time do properly do what you are passionate about e.g. making a full-game in your spare time. Also just doing it for fun and assuming that you won’t make the big time (but if you do it’s a bonus) may sound “realistic” and reduce any pressure, but I prefer to have an attitude of success (combined with being determined) because it works for me personally. My $0.02.

Yeh, read the post. I believe I commented (or was about to).
    By the way, check the first chapter online at gapingvoid.com.

Hmm, middle ground. I don’t see how that would be different from “forget the profits”?

No I haven’t read it. It sounds good, and I think I understand the philosophy anyway.

You know you are not in a middle ground if you feel unhappy doing the work for a long period of time. Being unhappy for a few days is normal in any project, you just have to push on (did you see my post about getting past the wall?)

Jake: have you read Ignore everybody?

It resonates with my situation. To some extent at least.

How do you find the middle ground? When do you know that you are not donutizing too much?

I like donuts. Lots of donuts gives you more choices in life. I would suggest not a) doing 100% what you want and never thinking about donuts, and not b) 100% focusing on donuts, but a nice middle ground. Find something you are passionate about that you can donutize. I KNOW that this works. I even saw a talk about passion vs donuts at Casual Connect in Amsterdam and posted about it on my blog because I thought it was an important message.

6. stewie

I agree. “Donuts thinking” is just a limit that holds down your creativity and indirectly forces you to copy popular parts from other games into your project. And ones it is released it becomes one of many similar project on the market. Forget about donuts and you’ll be able to create something cool, fresh for the market.
    See that paradox? Forget about donuts and they will come.

7. hermitC

I have read “Ignore Everybody” recently. Seem to be good advices with solid rationales. The “keep your day job” chapter matches your donuts. Therefore the donut-voice in your head should not be a bad thing, especially when the income stream of a new game is hard to predict.

I won’t forget the donuts, they are too yummy! But I’m going to turn down the volume of the donut-voice so there’s more concentration on the real aspects of making games. Hope that works?!?