How Much Pixel Art Costs?

I have experience and some clue how much doing 3D stuff costs, and before jumping into 2D world I’m doing a bit of research. Inspired by this fine piece of pixel art. I’m trying to find out how much it could cost to do something like the stuff in the picture. (Scene + some objects + guy with a batt + a 4-5 simple animations for characters, for starters).

I have no clue how much it costs to do pixel art. If you happen to know a pixel artist (or happen to be one!), I’d appreciate if you could give me some insight on this.

11 thoughts on “How Much Pixel Art Costs?

Katherine: actually, that might be the most expensive way…. since doing art takes time. My time is the most precious ;)

2. Katherine

Probably it’s the cheapest if you do the art yourself, as you don’t need any kind of art programs or anything. I have no idea though.

Thanks for the replies. Checked Indiegamer and I got some replies and tons of education “what kind of game art is good to use”.

Pixel art was said to be “possibly the most expensive way to do art for a game”… ;)

4. Andy

Ohh pixel art, I spent over £500 on a project once and that was a space game (currently unavailable) so there wasn’t as much involved as that picture looks.

Generally I found that individual sprites felt quite cheap on their own but that I completely underestimated the scope of the work.

You know what though, it would be great if there was a site specifically geared towards indpendent game contracting. A place where artists, musicians and coders could put their services up for sale with examples of their work and their costs with user ratings and such. Maybe if that doesn’t exist I should make it…

5. charlie

Why not send that guy an email and ask? What’s the worst that could happen? They might really want to have their work in a game…

Cheers
    Charlie

6. Dzhelasi

Feel free to check out my art and contact me. If you are interested just mail me and we can work something out, maybe make a few custom examples. Not what you are interested in? Check out http://www.virtualpetlist.com theres alot of game site artist there that you can check out as well. Good luck.