I’m somewhat on an edge here regarding getting art to my game. The pros and cons for finding an artist and forming a dynamic dev duo with him I see as follows:
- I don’t need to think about doing/finding/buying good looking art: that’s what the artist can do.
- Development budgetwise it could be a good move.
- Two guys can motivate each other and bounce ideas back and forth.
- Losing some control over things: artist (in my opinion) needs to do his thing which is totally cool – I want The Art Guy to have control over what kind of art he does. It’s the “game design ideas” and “how this game should work” of losing control is a potential pitfall. (Of course by looking from the bright side one could say that 2 guys can end up having much better design than just one guy)
- Delays in decisions and stuff: when there’s 2 people involved in something, things are several times more complex than they ever will be when there’s just one guy doing something. But hey… if I wanna create a cooperative game, perhaps it makes sense to cooperate with somebody in the development phase as well?
- Finding a good match is no easy thing to do. (But luckily miracles happen… I’ve noticed this after simply posting on my blog that things start to roll forward. This blog is like a wish well – I’ll throw some ideas on wall and see some of them sticking. Who knows, maybe something good will follow from this blog post as well…)
You’ve seen my game ideas. I’m now pondering whether to find an artist to team up with. I’d handle programming. Artist would handle art. Rest of the stuff would be fought about.
What you think? Which way you are currently going?