I was about to write my experiences with the newcomer, and I thought it was time to write week #2 post. Then I realized that geesh, this newcomer has been here for 3 weeks already.
This gets me to my first point.
Fact #1 – Time flies
With such a cute lil creature around, time just flies.
Fact #2 – Ownership is cool and this applies to game dev
Think of a following job, where you need to:
- change poo/wee diapers 6-8 times a day (and night)
- vacuum the mansion and wipe the dusts every other day
- prepare food for the clan
- sleep infrequently
- take out the garbage every day
- not getting paid (in fact, you pretty much pay to do all this)
- among tons of other stuff there just is
And so on. Over and over, day after day, night after night.
Any sensible person wouldn’t do this. I wouldn’t.
But, now add “ownership” (sort of*) and things change. Now it’s about me and my stuff. And everything is fun. Modding, good RPGs know how to give “ownership” to people. By letting players to create something, a much stronger experience can be created.
It can be as simple as letting player name the character.
Which games have done this well. Can you name a game where you really took “ownership” over things and it made the game better to play? Fallout series comes to my mind first.
*I don’t consider “owning” my baby but perhaps my point is understood.