Everybody knows that indie game devs are lovable and cute people. That’s why they are even prepared to give their games for free. Sometimes.
Here’s some ways to get those games at your disposal!
- Beg! Don’t beg the developer (that just annoys the developer and makes you look stupid), beg your parents! (that just annoys the parents, but they give in – eventually they always will) If you do the laundry and rake the grass, in no time your parents will give you those 10 bucks (or whatnot) to get yourself that game!
- Beg more! If your parents think that 20 bucks is “too expensive” then tell them that you will work for 5 bucks per month. No parent can resist this offer!
- Contribute in the development team’s discussion forums – become a moderator and act like a sane person. In no time you’ll receive fame & glory, and of course the game for pro bono.
- Set up a fan blog dedicated to the game. Write tons of posts and get people to visit the game site. In no time, a copy of the indie game is yours!
- Do a video about the game and get it in everybody’s face. Then humbly go and ask if you could get a copy.
- Participate in contests: the developers have all sort of nice contests where you can win stuff. And the game.
- Offer to translate the game! Many devs are more than willing to give a copy of the game in exchange for a translation.
Or just skip a few beers, spend that money in the game and you should be just fine.