My traitor game networking code got a breakthrough when enet (gnet) based system: the client is loading the correct map! (In other words: I managed to send a string from server to client without crashing them. Talk about progress.)
Now, with that being sorted, I’m starting to feel that I want to have this place where to announce all stuff. From Dead Wake dev I learned that community forums are double edged sword (good thing is that fans love ‘em, the bad news is that they need moderation time, even with helper mods around).
For this reason I’m pondering where to start announcing this game:
- Moddb would be cool, but they require more complete games.
- This blog might seem like an obvious choice, but I try to keep this for game dev audience, and not too much about player audience.
- Forum (see above: moderation issues)
- Facebook page: issue, I don’t like the fact that I’m giving control to somebody else
- Twitter: it’s not a community building place. Sort of.
- New blog: hmmm. (has some issues: while people cannot start new threads, at least they have opportunities to comment and blog can be tied to Twitter and others. This feels pretty good.)
To me, a new blog sounds like a solution (dedicated to traitor game).
Optionally, a blog that would appear in my own company site (I haven’t needed that for 5 years, so haven’t set it up yet) – but I really want to promote game sites on their own, and then cross-promote games on these different gaming sites.
Where you guys build your community?