I made some new year resolutions where first goal was to decrease amount of stuff. One of the really Good Things I did was that I reworked my use of email. Currently I do this:
- I have secondary Google mail account, and primary gameproducer mail account
- All newsletter subscriptions, announcements, and stuff goes to google mail (if you email press@ or contact@ or whatever, all goes there).
- I removed almost all newsletter subscriptions that I could: I concluded those are close to pointless. I use other things like Twitter to hear about the important stuff.
- I bought iPod Touch and use the default Mail program.
- Whenever I get emails, I mainly move them to Trash.
- If there’s something that I can consider, I reply there right away.
- Project related emails go to my project folder (named “Zombies”), I have only one of these.
- I have no “archived”, all that goes to Trash.
- 98% I check email while sitting on sofa, I never check it during the day. I also have IMAP account on my main desktop computer for the reason that sending large attachments is easier that way. I think I’ve sent less than 5 emails (or so) via main computer, all goes mainly through iPod Touch.
Conclusions is: get mobile device for IMAP emails, have 2 accounts, don’t archive anything – trash ‘em, have one project folder, never check email while working, remove all junk.
This has worked tremendously well for me, and I think it’s now possibly 39th day with clean inbox and I feel I haven’t put any effort on this. It just stays clean, I don’t “try to keep it clean” or take any pressures. It just stays empty.